Detoxification is inevitably important for maintaining a vibrant life with healthy organs. Everyday, toxins from our surroundings circulate the body through the blood stream. In an ideal world they would be minimal, not place a significant strain on the liver and be excreted immediately. Unfortunately today, most people have an overburdened liver, unable to efficiently cleanse itself. Thus the body, in attempt to protect our organs from harm creates fat cells in which these everyday toxins are stored.
Maybe a sluggish liver and an increase in fat cells don’t bother you, but in regards to pregnancy, toxicity can be detrimental for an infants development. In utero a foetus’ organs are still developing therefore does not have a reliable detoxification system. It’s common knowledge that whatever a mother consumes, nourishing or harmful, is passed through the umbilical cord to the child, and later in breast milk. Because in the modern world toxin are unavoidable, it is extremely important to support the natural detoxification pathways so heavy metals, xenoestrogens, chemicals and other pollutants are not passed down through the umbilical cord.
*Glyphosate, the main toxin used on Genetically Modified Foods which acts as a hormone disruptor has been found in large doses in the umbilical cord.
While seasonal fasts or cleanses can be somewhat helpful for the removal of stored toxins, the incorporation of these powerful detoxification practices is not only more sustainable, but more effective.
Here are 3 simple practices to use for daily detoxification to get your body baby ready:
1. Oil Pulling- Oil pulling is a potent way to rid the mouth and body of toxins. Most health professionals, whether a homeopath or medical doctor are aware of the relationship between oral hygiene and the health of the body. For example, medical doctors acknowledge that plaque build up on the teeth is an indicator of heart disease. In Chinese medicine each tooth is directly correlated to a particular organ. In that case, when there is a problem in the body it will manifest itself on that particular tooth.
Back in 2011, when I dealt with fatigue I had a thermography examination that showed inflammation in my adrenal glands and the tooth correlating. I was shocked when I realised that the particular tooth highlighted was one that had been extremely sensitive for months prior. When I started supporting my adrenal glands by cutting our caffeine the tooth sensitivity went away completely!
Oil pulling is easy:
Simply put a tablespoon of coconut oil, olive oil, or other high-quality oil in your mouth and gently swish as you would mouth wash for 15-20 minutes. You can also add a high quality essential oil such as peppermint, orange of clove for extra benefits. When the 15 minutes is up, spit (DON’T SWALLOW) the oil into the rubbish bin.
2. Infrared sauna therapy- Used everywhere from Japan and native America to ancient Rome, sauna therapy has played a major role in traditional cultures. Arguably the most powerful detoxification practive, it works by causing the body to enter the parasympathetic mode. It is in this relaxed state where the body is able to release stored toxins which have likely been accumulating for decades.
Saunas, unlike oil pulling target detoxification of the lymphatic system. In lymphatic detoxification, toxins from medications, body products, vaccines and pesticides are released through the skin. Near infrared lamp saunas are the most effect for eliminating toxins and don’t give off the harmful electromagnetic frequencies that far infrared saunas do.
If you’re doing Infrared sauna therapy for the first time start slow! A 15 minute session 2-3 times a week is a great start.
Note: It’s not uncommon to feel a host of different emotions when using sauna detoxification. While it is a gentle therapy, the body often releases stored emotions with the built-up toxins. With time this will subside.
Castor oil packs- Castor oil is a potent anti-bacterial anti-fungal and anti-viral remedy that has been shown to stimulate the immune system. Made popular by Edgar Cayce it has been found that castor oil pack therapy stimulates the thymus and increase lymphocyte production. Lymphocytes fight disease and stimulate detoxification of the skin. This is an easy and inexpensive detoxification technique that you can practice anywhere.
*DO NOT PRACTICE WHILE PREGNANT!
1. Fold a large sheet of flannel in half (large enough to cover your abdomen) and spread 1-2 tablespoons of high quality castor oil on the flannel.
2. Lie on your back with your feet slightly elevated.
3. Put the flannel, oil side down, on your abdomen.
4. Place a hot water bottle over the flannel to heat the oil
5. Cover flannel and water bottle with a towel to keep heat in and avoid getting oil on the furniture
6. Leave for 45-60 minutes
7. Wash off remaining oil with warm water and Castile soap
All of the mentioned techniques can be administered daily for ultimate detoxification. All but castor oil packs can be used during pregnancy to remove new toxins and prevent build up with the consent of your physician. Of course, preventative steps to avoiding toxicity are most important during pregnancy so make sure to choose organic food, skin-care products and house-hold items!